Pro Tools 11
Avid has just announced that the next version of their popular Pro Tools software is going to be available soon. Love it or hate it, there are a lot of changes Avid is bringing to the table with this release.
- All new Avid Audio Engine – Get multiple times the processing power of Pro Tools 10 to work with way more virtual instruments and effects plug-ins than ever before. And with the new 64-bit architecture, you gain the performance you need to handle the most sophisticated sessions—with more memory headroom to go even bigger.
- Offline bounce – Forget the wait—speed up your final mix delivery with new faster-than-real-time bounce capabilities. They are claiming that this offline bounce mode will be sample for sample accurate with its real-time bounce counterparts.
- New metering options (HD only) – New built-in metering standards provide a variety of scale and ballistics options, so you can be assured that you’re creating the best mix possible.
- Work directly with HD video – Play MXF HD, Avid DNxHD, and other HD video formats directly in the Pro Tools timeline, without transcoding, using the built-in Avid Video Engine—the same as in Media Composer.
One downside to the new version is their system requirements. If you are running a Mac computer, you will need to have a mid-2012 or later model design. Specifically:
- Mac Pro mid-2012 5,1 (all models, all speeds)
- Mac Pro early 2009 (all models, all speeds)
- Not Supported
- Mac Pro 3,1 “Harpertown” models and lower
MacBook Pro & Air
- MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch (Mid 2012: 10,1)
- MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch (Late 2012: 10,2)
- MacBook Pro 15-inch (Mid 2012: 9,1)
- MacBook Pro 13-inch (Mid 2012: 9,2)
- MacBook Air (mid 2012 models)
- MacBook Air (2011 models)
- 2012 Mac Mini (all models, all speeds)
- 2011 Mac Mini (all models, all speeds)
- Mid-2010 Mac Mini (all models, all speeds)
- 2012 iMac i5 (all models, all speeds)
- Mid-2012 to Late 2009 i5 & i7 (Unibody)
Some interfaces will be no longer compatible with this version of PT.
Not Compatible (Will Not Work)
- Audio Devices
- Mbox (original)
- Digi 001
- Avid Control Surfaces
- ProControl Main Unit
- ProControl Edit Pack
- ProControl Fader Pack
If you have purchased a version of Pro Tools 10 after April 7th, you will be eligible for a complimentary upgrade to 11. This new version does indeed look promising, and we are excited to see what performance it can bring us.
Here is a video running down everything you need to know about Pro Tools 11.